Instructions for getting a MOBI file to your Kindle
So you got this MOBI file from a wonderful independent author, or as a gift from your Uncle Bob, or as a prize in a Cracker Jack box, and now you want to read it on your Kindle? Here's how to do it, complete with screenshots.
To get the .MOBI file onto your Kindle, you’ll need to know the email address for your Kindle device, and you’ll need to tell Amazon it’s OK to accept files from your email address. Here’s how:
- From most any Amazon.com shopping page, use the menu in the upper right and click on the Your Account button. Select “Manage your Content and Devices” from the dropdown choices.
- Click the Settings tab.
- Scroll about halfway down until you come to the Personal Documents Settings heading. From the list of device(s), make a note of the email address to which you want to read the .MOBI file.
- Tell Amazon.com it’s OK to accept content from your email addresses by scrolling a bit until until you come to the Approved Personal Document E-mail List. Click the link for Add a new approved e-mail address.
- In the box that appears, enter your email address, then click the Add Address button.
From the email address you just entered in step 5 above, send the .MOBI file as an attachment to the device email you wrote down in step 3.* Wait about fifteen minutes, then turn on your Kindle and select the “Sync and Check for New Items” option. Voilá — the new book should appear.
- Amazon.com will automatically convert the MOBI file to the format needed for your Kindle.
- It doesn’t matter what you put in the subject line or the body of your email, because Amazon will ignore it. For your records, you might want to put something like the title and author, e.g., “Overload Flux by Carol Van Natta,” in case you ever need it later.